Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Our Crazy Hailstorm!

This evening just after 6pm we experienced a hailstorm like none that we have experienced before. We usually see something like this on the news or hear about it from someone else, but now we can say we have experienced it. It only lasted a minute or two, but I have to admit it freaked us out a bit.

All of a sudden it got really light out side, which it had been a pretty dark and rainy day for the most part, and then it started raining. I commented to Shawn about that and then shortly after it started raining we heard big things pelting down on our house. Shawn yelled to me to get the kids away from the window, which freaked me out a bit, and we stayed towards the middle of our house so that if a window broke we would not get hurt.

I of course ran to get the camera and took some pictures. Here is part of our back yard.

This is out to the side.
Shawn gathered up a few of the ice chunks.

Shawn holding one of the pieces he picked up outside.


Fox had to get in on the action too. This is his hand holding this last piece.

Some were just about the size of baseballs. Our car has dents all over it. Shawn said it looks like a bunch of golf balls were dropped all over it. On one side of our house the siding is all cracked and broken. Thankfully nobody got hurt. Some of our friends got broken windows and cuts from it, but we were lucky that we didn't.

10 comments:

Trinity said...

That's amazing and terrifying. I'm glad I haven't had that experience in my life yet. I'm glad you all were ok.

Joe and Jake Est. 1990 said...

You and Elena! Scary! We got hail but no damage! I hope you are all okay!

Holly said...

Holy Cow!! That is some hailstorm! I am so glad nobody got hit by one of those things! Owch! Thank goodness for car and home insurance!!

Eliza said...

Paul and I were watching the continual reports and tornado warnings on the t.v. and we were hoping that you guys (and your property) would be alright since a big cell of the storm passed right over you guys.

So glad you guys are all alright!

Stubbs Stuff said...

Holy cow! That would have scared me to death. Thanks for posting pictures, I have never seen hail that size! Glad you are all okay!

Kylies Blog said...

i tagged u!!!!!!!have fun!!!!!!

Stephanie said...

I saw about that on the news. That's so scary. Good thing you guys weren't caught outside in that. Take care and enjoy your pregnancy.

The Butterfields said...

You're lucky! Greg's dad is an insurance adjuster and he goes on storm duty to process claims after things like this -you should see the pictures he brings back.

Glad everyone is okay!

Christy said...

I think it is crazy that something that heavy can stay in the sky that long! Sorry you had damage to your property! Wild!

Daisy Paige said...

Oh my goodness, those are some freaking huge ice pieces.